2008/11/11

Android and Motorola

It looks like Motorola is to focus on Android and Windows Mobile in the future (see the story on Financial Times). I understand that this is double-or-nothing-kind of a decision for Motorola; their mobile sales have been going down so rapidly that they HAVE to do something if they want to stay alive.

Is this a good move from Motorola?

Personally, I think Google's Android may as well be a huge success. The business case for Google is obvious; they give the OS free of charge to anyone [as far as I know], and they do it to support their main business [advertising that is]. This may help Motorola to cut costs. If it is going to help them to sell more phones, nobody knows for sure, but I think Android will be a commercial success. And if Motorola jumps on this train now, it may as well be that they get back in business in some years time.

I wonder what this means for people developing mobile Internet sites?

No comments: